Home ARCHITECTURE Houses

Manheim Road—Past Homes Tour Houses PDF  | Print |

711 Manheim Road

711 Manheim Rd.

Looking at this brick Neoclassical Revival house, it is hard to image that it had been for sale on the courthouse steps following a major fire that damaged the second and third floors. Architects Owen & Peyson estimated a cost of $10,000 to build this home in 1914 for Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., his wife Mason, son Rogers, and daughter Mason. Mr. Crittenden, the son of the Missouri Governor Thomas T. Crittenden, was elected mayor of Kansas City in 1907 and served until 1910, refusing to run for a second term. Although he returned to work in the real estate and investment fields after leaving office, he remained active in the civic affairs of the city until his death on July 31, 1938. His widow died about two years later leaving the house to their married daughter Mason Crittenden Stout. The house remained in the Crittenden family until the late 1940s. By the late 1950s the house had been subdivided into apartments.

Five coats of paint was stripped from the dining room woodwork. The first floor sun porch still has its original tile floor, fireplace and bookcases. The living room features the original mantel and green tiled fireplace. The south side of the second floor features a master bedroom with a bath and an upstairs den. The fireplace mantels in these two rooms are identical. While rebuilding the ceilings on the second floor, an old metal box filled with original letters, musical programs, and greeting cards belonging to the two Crittenden children was found. Also included were some glass slides of political cartoons and statements relating to the mayoral election.



715 Manheim Road

715 Manheim Rd.

Built in 1920, the home features eight over one windows throughout and the attractive columns on the front porch are a distinctive welcoming touch for all who enter the Hyde Park residence. The leaded glass panels on either side of the front door add to the homes’ beauty. Interior highlights include the large original fireplace, the open side sun porch, and the deep ceiling molding.



737 Manheim Road

737 Manheim Rd.

This 1907 mansion overlooking Harrison Parkway is believed to have been built by H.V. Lewis for one of his daughters. John D. Tennant and his wife, Lola Sweet Tennant, purchased the house in 1913. They lived there until Mr. Tennant, by then a vice-president with Long-Bell Lumber Co., was transferred to Washington State. Mrs. Tennant’s uncle, Henry L. Sweet, purchased the house and resold it a year later to another lumber executive, Joseph H. Lane and his wife, Anabel. The house remained in the Lane family until 1958. During the next twenty years, the house was to change hands at least seven times and underwent drastic structural changes.

When the house was purchased in 1978, it has been broken up into six apartments, seemed aged beyond its years and far removed from its former elegance. This 2 and 1/2-story brick residence is of Colonial Revival design, has a gabled roof and three pedimented gable dormers. The symmetrical lines of the house are emphasized by the location of the chimneys. The central portico on the north has been painstakingly restored, and supports the second floor balcony with classicized columns. Beautiful leaded, beveled glass frames the entryway, opening to a large center hall. The 18 x 33-foot living room is dominated by a floor-to-ceiling cheery wood mantel. Virtually all the fixtures, moldings, woodwork and fireplace mantels have been recycled from old buildings scheduled for demolition. The seven-foot ceiling on the third floor was raised to 12 feet and finished with birch wood rescued from St. Joseph’s Hospital before its demolition. The oak staircase, the sliding oak doors and the wood in the first floor bar area were salvaged from an old Victorian house and a Linwood Boulevard hotel.



743 Manheim Road

743 Manheim Rd.

Most Kansas Citians are familiar with the imposing mansion on the southwest corner of 55th and Ward parkway built for Mack Barnabas Nelson. Constructed during the years 1914 and 1915, the planning for that home took place at 743 Manheim, the prior home of M.B. and May Nelson. They built this cut stone two and one half-story home around 1907-1908, approximately ten years after Mr. Nelson started with the Long-Bell Lumber Company (where he worked for fifty years, twenty-five as President). The original address for this home was 743 East Gillham Road. Although the street name was officially changed in 1910, the Nelsons continued to use the East Gillham address for most of their residency.

The Nelsons moved to their new Ward Parkway home on Christmas Eve, 1915. They sold this house to George Edward Muehlebach, then President of the George Muehlebach Brewing Company (named for his father), who lived here for about twelve years. In October 1917 Mr. Muehlebach bought the Kansas City Blues baseball team from George Tebeau and built Muehlebach Field, ultimately known as Kansas City Municipal Stadium, at 22nd and Brooklyn in 1923. George Muehlebach also served as President of the Muehlebach Estate Company, which built the Hotel Muehlebach in 1916. Other previous owners of note include James McQueeny, Manager of the Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company, who lived here from the late 1920s through the mid-1930s, and Carl S. Cleveland, Jr. the son of the founder of the Cleveland Chiropractic College (originally located in the 3700 block of Troost). Cleveland served as Vice-President, then President of the school and lived at this address from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s.

The James McQueeny family lived here in the 1930s. McQueeny was a lawyer.

The first floor includes beautiful woodwork, bay windows, and leaded-beveled glass. The large room sizes give the home an open feeling. Heading upstairs to the second floor, one cannot help but notice the huge multi-part beveled-leaded glass window on the landing; this window has been featured in the Kansas City Star. The second floor hall includes built-in glass fronted cabinets. The basement still contains an original fireplace.



900 Manheim Road

900 Manheim Rd.

The half-timbered house was built in 1909 and is an interesting combination of the Tudor and Craftsman styles, with many Art Nouveau details. The cottage gives a compact exterior appearance, but is quite spacious inside. The large entry contains a library and is flanked by ample, irregular rooms on either side. The living room’s focal point is a massive, green ceramic fireplace in the Art Nouveau style, complimented by numerous stained glass windows reminiscent of those designed by Scottish Arts and Crafts designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

The house was built in 1909 and the address at that time was 3745 Campbell rather than 900 Manheim. The original building permit and the house’s first water permit bear the name of Hugh Brann, an attorney, but city directories never list him as living in this house. Instead, Albert and Rose Wurmser are listed in the 1910 City Directory as the residents. Mr. Wurmser owned the A.C. Wurmser & Company Furniture and Carpet store at 11th and Walnut downtown. He also served as a member of the Kansas City Planning commission and the vice-President of the Jewish Educational Institute. The couple lived here until the early 1930s.