Home WALKING TOURS

Central Hyde Park Historic District Walking Tour


“Preserving the Past for the Future”

Kansas City The Central Hyde Park Historic District is located in the center of Kansas City, Missouri. It is bordered by Armour Boulevard, 39th Street, Gillham Road and Troost Avenue. Hyde Park is a well-preserved, turn-of-the-century neighborhood characterized by large residences built in a variety of architectural styles which reflect the work of many leading local architects.

Central Hyde Park Historic District

In the mid-1880's real estate speculation in Kansas City reached near-hysterical proportions. Land south of the city, extending to the town of Westport was sold and resold at fantastic profits. Among the subdivisions platted in 1886 was one called Hyde Park located midway between the two cities. Next to Hyde Park lay a ravine down which ran a small creek, and to the south ran the old Independence-Westport wagon road used by Santa Fe and Oregon Trail travelers. The land was purchased for use as a private country club. The Club introduced golf to the area. Because of members' complaints, the Westport city council was persuaded to pass a herd law to keep cows off the greens. The bottom dropped out of the housing market in 1888 and development effectively halted for the next ten years. Although the first houses were built in late 1880's, less than 50 houses had been erected by 1900. However, by 1907, when the market had recovered, this number had increased more than five times. For many years this entire area was known generally as "Hyde Park" without reference to the specific subdivisions. Later the application shifted eastward until the term today refers to the area east of the original Hyde Park subdivision. Kansas City 1887

Architectural styles are predominately of two kinds: Colonial Revival Eclectic and the Kansas City "Shirtwaist." Other styles represented are Queen Anne, Shingle, and Prairie styles. The houses represent the work of some of Kansas City’s finest residential architects including Louis Curtis, Edgar Madorie, John McKechnie, Thomas Wight and the firm of Shepard, Farrar & Wiser.

By the end of the second World War, a profound change had occurred in the area. Many of the original owners had died or moved to larger communities with newer addresses of quality. The large old homes were converted into apartments and sleeping rooms. The neighborhood began a long, slow decline which continued unchecked until the 1970's. Since then, dramatic changes have taken place. An estimated one-third of the houses changed hands between 1975 and 1977. Extensive public and private investment and attendant publicity has rejuvenated the neighborhood. Almost all the houses have been converted back to single family and once again the neighborhood has become a special place to live.

In 1980 central Hyde Park from Armour Boulevard to 39th Street and between Gillham Road and Troost Avenue was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.



Walking Tour—From Watering Hole to City Jewell

Map Idenifing Central Hyde Park The Central Hyde Park Historic District walking tour begins at 39th Street and Gillham Road at the Eagle Scout Memorial. Most of the pictured houses have been open through one of our annual homes tours. Additional infomration on these individual houses may be found at Tour Houses. These houses are grouped by street and address. Information on most of the specific individuals may be found at 1930 Who’s Who in Kansas City
Eagle Scout Memorial Eagle Scout Memorial, 39th Street & Gillham Rd.&emdash;1968. Limestone monument. The sculpture group had been displayed over the Seventh Avenue entrance of the Pennsylvania Railroad Station in New York City and contained a clock in the center where the Boy Scout Eagle badge is today. In the mid 1960’s the sculpture was donated to Kansas City by the Pennsylvania Railroad when the station was razed. Charles McKim designed the monumental 20 foot stone sculpture.

Head west to the east side of Gillham Rd. and turn right.

Sante Fe Marker Santa Fe Marker, North of 39th Street Between North & South Bound Lanes of Gillham Rd.—1906. Rose granite with bronze plaque. The designers were John Van Brunt, architect, and Maude Miles, art teacher in Kansas City school system. A party of old residents who had freighted over the Santa Fe Trail met on May 2, 1905. They toured the city and relocated the trail. Markers were erected on park property where fragments of the original trail were found. This is a section of the Independence-Westport Road that was used between 1837-1856. The road was known in those days as the “Road to California.” In 1843 the trail branched west of State Line, forming “The Oregon Trail.”
3821 Gillham Road 3821 Gillham Rd.—1910. Vernacular. Architect J.C. Braecklein. Built by Robert Nesch, owner of the Pittsburg Paving Brick Company with the same oversized bricks he used for all of Kansas City’s main thoroughfares. There are 160 bricks per square yard in the exterior walls. How can this be? Ever wall is four bricks thick, with a pocket of insulating air between the third and fourth bricks.
Pilgrim Chapel 3801 Gillham Rd.—1941. Miniature Romanesque Revival church of Missouri limestone. The Pilgrim Chapel is a rare example of a religious building constructed by and for a special needs membership. As a result of the unique architecture and special focus, Pilgrim Chapel and the parsonage next door were added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Hyde Park, Between 38th and 36th Between Gillham Road—1892. This was the first Kansas City park designed by George E. Kessler, who later designed Kansas City’s famous parks and boulevard system. The park was planned as an exclusive park for the surrounding residents. To forestall the park’s becoming a kind of collective back yard, he circled it with a road to encourage home builders to front their residences upon it. The plan was successful. In the 1890s Hyde Park became an informal country club as residents laid out tennis courts, croquet grounds, and archery ranges. They enclosed the park with a high fence with gates and a park monitor. Only people with keys could enter.

3733 Gillham Rd.—1907.
3719 Gillham Rd.—1910.
3701 Gillham Rd.—1907.

3605 Gillham Road 3605 Gillham Rd.—1888. Juxtaposition of Queen Anne and Dutch Colonial Revival elements. Believed to be the oldest house in Hyde Park. Built by E.H. Bouton as one of seven constructed on the same block by the same builder. House was sold to R.N. Spivey in 1890 for $13,500. The house had been scheduled for demolition but was saved by the Historic Kansas City Foundation.

3600 Gillham Rd.—First golf course historic marker.
3521 Gillham Rd.—1907.
3507-13 Gillham Rd.—1916.

Turn right on 36th Street.

401 E. 36th St.—1909.
412 E. 36th St.—1901.

416 E. 36th Street Delbert James Haff
Delbert J. Haff
416 E. 36th St.—1901. Vernacular Prairie. Architect Walter C. Root of Root & Siemens. Built for attorney, Delbert J. Haff, and his family. Haff formulated and successfully upheld the law under which the Kansas City park and boulevard system was acquired and became president of the Kansas City Board of Park Commissioners, 1910-12.
419 E. 36th Street 419 E. 36th St.—1908. Vernacular. Architect John W. McKecknie. Built for W.A. Hinchman, Kemper Grain Co. and later president of W. Hinchman Grain Co. From its triangular stone north wall to its square brass door knobs, this vernacular style house carries a stamp of individuality bordering on eccentricity.

Turn left on Locust, proceed to Armour Blvd. on the west side &return to 36th Street on the east side.

Maurice H. Winger 3530 Locust St.—1907.


3526 Locust St.—1909.
3524 LocustSt.—1905.
3520 Locust St.—1905.
3512 Locust St.—1906.
501 E. Armour Blvd.—1912. Judge Michael Ross residence.
3511 Locust St.—1910.
3517 Locust St.—1909.
3519 Locust St.—1910.
3523-25 Locust St.—1910.
3529 Locust St.—1906.
3533 Locust St.—1909.

500 E. 36th Street 500 E. 36th St.—1909. Colonial Revival. Architect Lewis S. Curtiss. Built for Frank Brumback, a lawyer.

501 E. 36th St.—1914.

3608 Locust Street 3608 Locust St.—1888. Queen Anne. One of six built for speculation by the investment firm of Jarvis-Conklin on Locust and Oak Streets. An early resident of the home was accountant F. Stanley Young, who is rumored to have introduced the game of golf to Kansas City. The house appearance was substantially altered with a large addition in 1909. As you gaze at the front can you tell which part was built in 1888 and which was added in 1909? Clues can be seen in the porch columns (round on one side, square on other), the different window trim, window style, and window sizes, and the changing decorative moldings. The front tower is original, as is the north side of the wrap-around porch. The south side of the front of the house was added in 1909. A second tower, now hidden from view from the front of the house, can be see on the south facade.
3609 Locust Street 3609 Locust St.—1913.

3621-3 Locust St.—1910.
3624 Locust St.—
3625 Locust St.—1907.

Marion Ess Askew 3627 Locust St.—1907. Marion Ess Askew, clubwoman, lived here in 1930. She was the daughter of Henry Newton and Phoebe Jane (Routt) Ess. She attended A.B. Vassar College and married Kirk Askew in 1901.
3630 Locust Street 3630 Locust St.—1909. Vernacular Prairie. Shepard & Farrar architect.
3632 Locust Street 3632 Locust St.—1888. Shingle.

3633 Locust St.—1909.
3641 Locust St.—1907.
420 E. 37th St.—1910.
417 E. 37th St.—1908. Architect Root & Siemens.

3701 Locust Street 3701 Locust St.—1922. Vernacular Prairie.

3706 Locust St.—1920.
3716 Locust St.—1923.

Ralph Eugene Weaverling 3723-25 Locust St.—1926. Duplex with decorative half-timber. Ralph Eugene & Beatrice Weaverling lived here in 1930. He was an insurance adjuster for Business Mens Assurance Company. He had been on the University of Nebraska tennis team and was a winner of Missouri Valley collegiate singles championship.

3729-31 Locust St.—1926. Duplex with decorative half-timber. Edward Giles & Ethel Ingalls Blair lived here in 1930. Blair was a surgeon and was author of medical articles on skin grafting and The Surgery of Goitre.

3735 Locust St.—1926. Duplex.
3741 Locust St.—1924. Duplex.
3745 Locust St.—1924. Duplex. Architect F.R. Stuhl.
3800 Locust St.—1918.
3816 Locust St.—1916.

3823 Locust St.—1928. Notre Dame de Sion School. Brick building with round arched bays on the west elevation and decorated Spanish-style parapet on the main, south facade. Coed school for 200 students.

3826 Locust St.—1915. Architect A. B. Anderson.

Turn left, cross in front of the Eagle Scout Memorial, proceed to Holmes & take a right.

Harrison Parkway—1908. Landscape architect George E. Kessler. Parkway was designed as the west leg of Gillham Road. Gleed Terrace, the north frontage road, follows the Santa Fe Trail.

3867 Holmes St.—1908

3836 Holmes Street Grace Sheridan Wight
Grace Sheridan Wight
3863 Holmes St.—1908. American Foursquare Prairie. Architect Thomas E. Wight. Thomas & Grace Sheridan Wight. He had been an architect with McKim, Mead and White in New York. When he first came to Kansas City he joined with Edward Wilder to form the firm Wilder & Wight. Later on his brother bought out Wilder to from Wight and Wight. A few noteworthy commissions of the firm are: the Nelson/Atkins Gallery of Art, the Kansas City Life Building, The Wyandotte County Court House, St. Joseph’s Hospital, City Hall, Police Headquarters, and Linda Hall Library.

Return to Manheim Rd. and turn left.

709 Manheim Rd.—1929.

711 Manheim Rd. 711 Manheim Rd.—1914. Neoclassical Revival. Built for Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr. family. Mr. Crittenden, the son of Missouri governor Thomas T. Crittenden, was elected mayor of Kansas City in 1907 and served until 1910.
715 Manheim Rd. 715 Manheim Rd.—1920.

717 Manheim Rd.—1908.

737 Manheim Rd. 737 Manheim Rd.—1907.
743 Manheim Rd. 743 Manheim Rd.—1908. Vernacular Prairie. Built for M.B. and May Nelson. Nelson worked for the Long-Bell Lumber Company for 50 years, 25 as President. In 1915 the house was sold to George Edward Muehlebach, President of the George Muehlebach Brewing Company. Muehlebach bought the Kansas City Blues baseball team in 1917 and built Muehlebach Field, ultimately known as Kansas City Municipal Stadium. Muehlebach also served as President of the Muehlebach Estate Company which built the Hotel Muehlebach.

Turn right on Campbell St.

3741 Campbell St.—1907.
3743 Campbell St.—1908.

3809 Campbell Street 3800 Campbell St.—1907. Prairie. Characteristic elements are long, low straight lines, flat roofs, lack of exterior ornamentation, and the greater use of glass, in this case 66 windows and 11 glass doors. Four rooms have been added to the original eight by enclosing open air porches.

3808 Campbell St.—1907.

Turn right on Charlotte St.

3826 Charlotte St.—1908.
3828 Charlotte St.—1908.
3834 Charlotte St.—1907.
3838 Charlotte St.—1908.

3842 Charlotte St.—1908. Vernacular Prairie. The first occupant was Charles Oscar and Louise Sutermeister. Sutermeister worked for A. Sutermeister Stone Company. The Company provided cut stone for buildings and custom stone and marble cutting service.

3846 Charlotte St.—1908.
3848 Charlotte St.—1908.

3849 Charlotte Street 3849 Charlotte St.—1908. Prairie. Built by William J. Morris. Mr. Morris added the library wing for calling clients. During the 1950s, instead of repairing the deteriorating stucco, the owners chose siding. Future plans include removing the siding and restoring the exterior to its original grandeur.

3852 Charlotte St.—1908. Vernacular. Armwell Lockwood & Ley Cooper lived here in 1930. He was a lawyer; Missouri state senator; Jackson County, counselor; on Governor Herbert S. Hadley’s staff; and lecturer in Kansas City School of Law.

3857 Charlotte St.—1908.

Lex McDaniel Lex McDaniel 3860 Charlotte St.—1908.

3862 Charlotte St.—1908.
3866 Charlotte St.—1908.
3869 Charlotte St.—1908.
3870 Charlotte St.—1907.

Turn left on 39th & then left on Campbell St.

3846 Campbell St.—1908.
3842 Campbell St.—1907.
3841 Campbell St.—1908.
3840 Campbell St.—1907.
3837 Campbell St.—1913. 3833 Campbell St.—1908.

3829 Campbell St.—1922. Cornelius & Sallie Elizabeth Millard Roach lived here in 1930. He was secretary Missouri Senate; Secretary of State of Missouri; and chairman board Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company.

3937 Campbell Street 3828 Campbell St.—1907. Vernacular Prairie. Built for superintendent William J. Hillyer and his family.

3825 Campbell St.—1908.
3821 Campbell St.—1907.
3820 Campbell St.—1908.
3817 Campbell St.—1907.
3815 Campbell St.—1907.

3809 Campbell Street 3809 Campbell St.—1908.

3805 Campbell St.—1909.
3801 Campbell St.—1909.

Turn right on Manheim Rd.

900 Manheim Rd.—1909. Vernacular Prairie with many Art Nouveau details. Architect S.R. Frink. Albert and Rose Wurmser are listed in the 1910 City Director as the homeowners. Mr. Wurmser owned the A.C. Wurmiser & Company Furniture and Carpet.

Turn right on Harrison Blvd.

3800 Harrison Blvd.—1907.

3804 Harrison Boulevard 3804 Harrison Blvd.—1914. Vernacular. Architect J.M. Cheatham. Stone and stucco vernacular house is distinguished by a long horizontal dormer extending over a large front porch. 3810 Harrison Blvd.—1909.

3814 Harrison Blvd.—1909.

3820 Harrison Boulevard 3820 Harrison Blvd.—1908. Vernacular Prairie. Built for Reverend Samuel M. Neel, pastor of Central Presbyterian Church, then located at 9th and Harrison.

3824 Harrison Blvd.—1907.

3828 Harrison Boulevard 3838 Harrison Blvd.—1907. Kansas City Shirtwaist. was built for prominent Kansas City attorney.

3840 Harrison Blvd.—1908.

Cross Harrison Blvd. and go north on the east side.

3839 Harrison Boulevard 3839 Harrison Blvd.—1909. This brick, stucco, and cedar shingle Craftsman house was built for speculation by J.W. McCary.

3837 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3835 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3831 Harrison Blvd.—1907.
3829 Harrison Blvd.—1907.
3828 Harrison Blvd.—1907.
3827 Harrison Blvd.—1911.
3821 Harrison Blvd.—1907.
3817 Harrison Blvd.—1909.

Andreas Theodare Bard
Andreas Theodare Bard
3805 Harrison Blvd.—Andreas Theodore & Christine Schwartz Bard lived here in 1930. He was an author of The Dawn of Tomorrow lectures; Your Flag and My Flag; The Bride of Bagdad; Trail of Covered Wagon and pastor and builder of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church.

3744-46 Harrison Blvd.—1905. Duplex. Earl Beachy & Bernice Gano Baker Musser lived here in 1930. He was President S. W. Ice Company.

3743 Harrison Blvd.—1912.
3740-42 Harrison Blvd.—1905. Duplex.

3738 Harrison Blvd.—1905. Lynn Gray & Katherine Augusta Anderman Taylor lived here in 1930. He was a physician and professor physiology in Kansas City West Dental College and Kansas City College of Pharmacy.

3717 Harrison Blvd.—1911.
3715 Harrison Blvd.—1913.
3711 Harrison Blvd.—1909.

3707 Harrison Boulevard 3707 Harrison Blvd.—1910. Vernacular with Prairie influences. Architect Clarence E. Shepard of Shepard, Farrar & Wiser. Built for J.V. Kendall. Huge slabs of stone under each front window and over the massive living room fireplace had to be imported from Carthage, Missouri, by mule train. The exterior walls of native limestone average 2 1/2 feet thick. Notice the extra large mortar joints outlining every stone.

3669 Harrison Blvd.—1905.
3665 Harrison Blvd.—1909.

William Tell Johnson
William Tell Johnson
3659 Harrison Blvd.—1912. William Tell & Agnes Margaret Harris Johnson lived here in 1930. He was a lawyer and had been a mayor in Osceola, Missouri, judge, delegate to Missouri Constitutional Convention, professor Notre Dame University, and Vice president and director Westport Exchange Bank.

3653 Harrison Blvd.—1905.
3647 Harrison Blvd.—1911.
3646 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3643 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3640 Harrison Blvd.—1909.
3639 Harrison Blvd.—1910-11.
3636 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3633 Harrison Blvd.—1909.
3632 Harrison Blvd.

3629 Harrison Boulevard 3629 Harrison Blvd.—1909. Third owner was Isaac Katz who’s life was a Horatio Alger story. As a young man he worked his way up from poverty, opened a fruit stand, and then a small store. With his brother, Michael, he later developed the Katz Drug Co. into a major regional chain. Their bewhiskered trademark was well-known to Kansas Citians until the company became part of Skaggs Drug Centers and now Osco.

3628 Harrison Blvd.
3624 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3621 Harrison Blvd.—1910.

3620 Harrison Boulevard 3620 Harrison Blvd.—1907.

3614 Harrison Blvd.—1906.
3601 Harrison Blvd.—1915.
3600 Harrison Blvd. 3541 Harrison Blvd.—1908.

3538 Harrison Blvd.—1907. Architect J.W. McKecknie. Built for Milgram, grocery store chain, family.

3537 Harrison Blvd.—1910.
3533 Harrison Blvd.—1910. George H. Edwards lived in this house when he was mayor of Kansas City, 1916-18.
3530 Harrison Blvd.—1911.

James Robert Dominick
James Robert Dominick
3529 Harrison Blvd.—1909.
3526 Harrison Boulevard 3526 Harrison Blvd.—1910.
3525 Harrison Boulevard 3525 Harrison Blvd.—1908. Colonial Revival. Architect Shepard & Farrar. Built for Mortimer R. Platt, a bank president, owner of a livestock feeding lot, and breeder of Gallawy cattle in what is now Leawood, Kansas.

3522 Harrison Blvd.—1904.

Carolyn Farwell Fuller
Carolyn Farwell Fuller
Courtesy Kansas City Young Matrons
GeorgeFuller
George W. Fuller
Courtesy Kansas City, Missouri
Parks & Recreation Department
3521 Harrison Blvd.—1908. Vernacular Prairie. Built for John Hayes and his son and son’s wife. Hayes was retired Chief of Police of Kansas City, Missouri. Second owner was George Fuller and his second wife Caroline. He was in finance and was on the parks board twice. She was an opera singer, school teacher, actively involved with the Athenaeum, founder of the Young Matrons, and the first woman elected to the Kansas City, Missouri, school board. The wife of the owners in the 1990s was a police board commissioner of Kansas City, Missouri.

3518 Harrison Blvd.—1908.
3516 Harrison Blvd.—1904.
3506 Harrison Blvd.—1897.

3505 Harrison Boulevard 3505 Harrison Blvd.—1904.

Continue to Armour Blvd., turn left & than left again on Campbell St.

3510 Campbell St.—1910.
3514 Campbell St.—1905. Only Romanesque revival house with circular tower and crenelated cornice in Hyde Park.
3522 Campbell St.—1908.
3524 Campbell St.—1903.
3530 Campbell St.—Queen Anne with hexagonal bay.
3533 Campbell St.—1909.
3534 Campbell St.—1901.
3535 Campbell St.—1909.
3537 Campbell St.—1910.
3540 Campbell St.—1901.
900 E. 36th Street—1908.
3601 Campbell St.—1906
3604 Campbell St.—1901.
3607 Campbell St.—1908.
3608 Campbell St.—1897. Queen Anne.

3611 Campbell Street 3611 Campbell St.—1910.

3612 Campbell St.

3615 Campbell Street 3615 Campbell St.—1910.

3618 Campbell St.
3624 Campbell St.—1904.

3625 Campbell Street 3625 Campbell St.—1905.

3626 Campbell St.—1905.
3631 Campbell St.—1905.
3632 Campbell St.—1906.
3633 Campbell St.—1903.
3635 Campbell St.—1902.

3640 Campbell Street 3640 Campbell St.—1907.

3641 Campbell St.—1921.
3643 Campbell St.—1906.
3644 Campbell St.—1908.
3647 Campbell St.—1909.
3648 Campbell St.—1910.
3651 Campbell St.—1909.
3652 Campbell St.—1912.

3654 Campbell Street 3654 Campbell St.—1907.
3655 Campbell Street 3655 Campbell St.—1909. Vernacular Prairie. Architect E.P. Madorie. He incorporated 60 windows in such a marvelous way that an article ran in The Kansas City Star on March 9, 1909. “Sun at any angle will be able to pour a whole broadside of glittering beams into the house.”

3659 Campbell St.—1911.
3661 Campbell St.—1907.

Turn right on Gleed Ter.

816 Gleed Ter.—1908.

Bryce B. Smith
Bryce B. Smith
810 Gleed Ter.—1922. Bryce B. & Nannie A. Norquist Smith lived here in 1930. He was mayor, on board of education, was president of Consumers Bread Company and organized Smith Great Western Baking Company with 9 bakeries in the middle west.
720 Gleed Terrace 720 Gleed Ter.—1909. Colonial Revival. Architect Howe & Howe. Cost $15,000.
716 Gleed Terrace 716 Gleed Ter.—1908. Colonial Revival. Built for John Hubble, a well-known local bridge expert. First floor windows are 6 over 6 lights—uncommon in Hyde Park.

Turn right on Charlotte St.

3659 Charlotte Street 3659 Charlotte St.—1907. Tudor. Built for Gustave and Madge Bryant Bachman. Madge was the granddaughter of Thomas Smart, whose 40-acre farm is now downtown Kansas City, Missouri, and the daughter of Dr. John Bryant, whose log cabin was located at 11th and Grand, the site now occupied by the Bryant Building.

3653 Charlotte St.—1910.
3652 Charlotte St.—1908.
3651 Charlotte St.—1909. George A. Bond, General Manager Kansas City Automobile Club, lived here in 1930.
3650 Charlotte St.—1907.
3648 Charlotte St.—1911.
3647 Charlotte St.—1910.
3646 Charlotte St.—1909.
3643 Charlotte St.—1910.
3642 Charlotte St.—1908.
3639 Charlotte St.—1908.
3638 Charlotte St.—1908.
3637 Charlotte St.—1908. Architect C.E. Shepard.

James Young Simpson
James Young Simpson
3633 Charlotte St.—1907. James Young & Leonara Edith Litchfield Simpson lived here in 1930. He was a physician. Major San. James Young, Jr., their child, was killed in action at Beileau Wood and awarded Croix de Guerre and citation of valor.

3632 Charlotte St.
3631 Charlotte St.—1909.
3630 Charlotte St.
3628 Charlotte St.—1907. 1970’s remodeling changed the windows and exterior surface.
3626 Charlotte St.—1907.
3625 Charlotte St.—1904.
3621 Charlotte St.—1904.

3620 Charlotte Street 3620 Charlotte St.—1905.

3617 Charlotte St.—1911.
3616 Charlotte St.—1905.
3612 Charlotte St.—1904.
3608 Charlotte St.—1904.

3601 Charlotte Street 3601 Charlotte St.—1911. Vernacular. Architect Shepard, Farrar & Wiser. Benjamin Berkshire, Secretary-Treasurer of the Berkshire Lumber Co., built this house. The main entrance and colonnaded front porch face south, away from the two streets that bound the property.

3600 Charlotte St.—1905.

720 E. 36th Street 720 E. 36th Street—1906. Joseph Layton & Eleanor Harmon Mauze lived here in 1930. He was a clergyman, author of numerous articles in religion papers, and pastor at Central Presbyterian Church.
3541 Charlotte Street 3541 Charlotte St.—1909. Dutch Colonial Revival. Architect Shepard & Farrar. Built for Louis J. Long family, who lived here until 1972. Because of damage only four of the original 16 Corinthian columns were salvageable. The brick wall at the front was torn down, each brick cleaned and the wall rebuilt.
3541 Charlotte Street 3535 Charlotte St.—1898. Shingle.

3534 Charlotte St.—1909.

3530 Charlotte Street 3530 Charlotte St.—1912. Colonial Revival. Architect Shepard, Farrar, & Wiser. Built for Fred Seligson family.
3529 Charlotte Street Burris Atkins Jenkins 3529 Charlotte St.—1904. Burris Atkins & Mattie Bocker Jenkins lived here in 1930. He was pastor of Linwood Blvd. Christian Church.
Charles Wesley German 3524 Charlotte St.—

3523 Charlotte St.—1905. Thomas Harvey & Ida May Barlow Reynolds lived here in 1930. He was a lawyer with Lathrop, Crane, Reynolds, Sawyer & Mersereau.

3516 Charlotte St.

Turn left on Armour Blvd.

721 E. Armour Blvd.—1905.

633 E. Armour Blvd.—1903. Architect Shepard & Farrar. George J. Myers residence. Myers, an industrialist, organized the Pacific Mutual Telegram Co., which was later absorbed by the Postal Telegraph Co. Carthage cut stone house had served as a health center for over 27 years.

Turn left on Holmes St.

3516 Holmes St.—1904.

3517 Holmes St.—1908.

3519 Holmes Street 3519 Holmes St.—1904. Vernacular. Built for Cyrus S. Crane, attorney. Considered by many to be one of the best trial attorneys in Kansas City. Mrs. Crane was a well known opera singer. Mr. Crane lived in this house until his death in the early 1950s.

3520 Holmes St.—1906.

3521 Holmes Street 3521 Holmes St.—1906. French Eclectic. Built for Joseph Knoche, a lawyer and president of the Knoche Real Estate Co. Notice the OEIL DE BOEUF (bulls eye) dormer windows, decorative central dorm window with large scroll brackets, and modified Palladian window motif over the main entrance. The house was used as a commune in the 60’s and 70’s.

3530 Holmes St.—1906. Two story hexagonal tower.

Turn right on 36th Street.

642 E. 36th Street 642 E. 36th Street—1905. Vernacular. Architect Root & Siemens. Built for W.W. Sylvester, vice president of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad. From 1927 through 1980 the house was used for first a club and then a boarding home for the aged.
628 E. 36th Street 628 E. 36th Street—1899.

622 E. 36th Street—1899.

616 E. 36th Street 616 E. 36th Street—1892. Shingle. Built by John Barber White, secretary and treasurer of the Missouri Land & Lumber Company and of its many allied and subsidiary organizations. White was a prominent and honored representative of the lumber interests west of the Mississippi and was instrumental in organizing the Missouri & Arkansas Lumber Association. At one time he owned over 250,000 acres of timber land, most of it in Missouri. This house was a renovation project of the Historic Kansas City Foundation. Enclosed areas of the first and second floors and the asbestos siding were removed by Foundation and neighborhood volunteers. A great cry went out when the original sun burst was uncovered on the front porch.

Turn right on Kenwood Ave.

3533 Kenwood Ave.—1911.
3530 Kenwood Ave.—1910.
3527 Kenwood Ave.—1908.
3524 Kenwood Ave.—1903.
3521 Kenwood Ave.—1913.
3520 Kenwood Ave.—1911.
3519 Kenwood Ave.—1908.

3512 Kenwood Ave.—1906. Harry H. & Cornelia Ney Mayer lived here in 1930. He was a clergyman, author, editor Kansas City Jewish Chronicle, and rabbi emeritus Congregation B’nai Jehudah.

Turn left on Armour Blvd. & then left on Cherry St.

3515 Cherry St.—1908.
3516 Cherry St.—1906.
3517 Cherry St.—1909.
3520 Cherry St.—1910.
3521 Cherry St.—1914.
3522 Cherry St.—1921.
3526 Cherry St.—1916.
3530 Cherry St.—1910. Architect Root & Siemens.

3534 Cherry St. 3534 Cherry St.—1921. Italian Renaissance duplex. Architect C.M. Jesperson. One of first residents was socially active F.G. Punton, president of Punton Brothers Publishing Company.

3538 Cherry St.—1922.

Turn left on 36th Street.

600 E. 36th Street 600 E. 36th Street—1892. Queen Anne. Red brick and Colorado sandstone built for A.A. Mosher, local railroad executive. Notice the detailed scrollwork in the exterior sandstone, the high carriage step on the west side of the house, and the curved window glass in the second floor bay window.

Janssen Place—A private street until 2001, was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in November, 1976 in recognition of the significant architecture of the 19 original homes. A separate walking tour is available.

700 E. 36th Street—1921.

Turn right on Holmes St.

3600 Holmes St.—1926.

3615 Holmes Street 3615 Holmes St.—1897. Shingle with secondary Swiss influence. The asymmetrical facade is dominated by a fish-scale shingled full front-gable with decorative false brackets. The stone first story is enhanced by a multi-sided bay window. Hyde Park lore has it that this residence was constructed for the Swiss grandmother of the family which built a substantial home on the adjacent north lot which burned years ago.
3616 Holmes Street 3616 Holmes St.—1912. Vernacular Prairie. Built for Robert Smith, president of the Wood Working Guild, and Director of the Modern Woodmen of America, a trade organization.

3622 Holmes St.—1906. Architect Wilder & Wight. Russell & Gertrude Brown Field living here in 1930. He was a lawyer and police commissioner.

3624 Holmes Street 3624 Holmes St.—1908. Tudor built for Mason L. Dean. Note the exposed timbers and front fluted chimney.

3625 Holmes St.—1909.

William T. Jamison 3627 Holmes St.—1909. Howard Lacon Jamison and William T. & Annie M. Whitely Jamison lived here in 1930. Both men were lawyers with Jamison, Ostergard & Jamison. Howard, the son, had been assistant Jackson County prosecuting attorney. William was past member of common council (city council) and prosecuting attorney.
3628 Holmes Street 3628 Holmes St.—1906. American Foursquare. Built for one of William Rockhill Nelson’s lawyers.

3630 Holmes St.—1908.
3634 Holmes St.—1908.
3635 Holmes St.—1908.
3637 Holmes St.—1908.
3641 Holmes St.—1909.

3644 Holmes Street 3644 Holmes St.—1906. Craftsman.
3700 Holmes Street 3700 Holmes St.—1915.

3701 Holmes St.—1906.

3703 Holmes Street 3703 Holmes St.—1907.

3704 Holmes St.—1909.

3703 Holmes Street 3707 Holmes St.—1909. Architect Shelby Kurfiss. This $8,000 Tudor house was built for George W. Lincoln, District Passenger Agent for the Chicago Great Western Railway. Notice the unusual side entrance on the northwest corner. This is one of only two homes in Hyde Park constructed with black brick.

3708 Holmes St.—1922.
3711 Holmes St.—1908.
3712 Holmes St.—1922.
3717 Holmes St.—1908.
3718 Holmes St.—1911.
3720 Holmes St.—1912.
3721 Holmes St.—1906.

3724 Holmes Street 3724 Holmes St.—1924.


3727 Holmes St.—1909.

3728 Holmes St.—1924. Victor Speas, multimillionaire, and his mother lived here. He made his fortune from vinegar and apple juice. He was a little man, about 5 foot 2 inches and had a male secretary always with him. He dated the same woman for 30 years. The Speas foundations, with total assets of about $38 million in 1987, focused largely on medical research.

This completes the tour. Continue down the hill to Harrison Parkway and turn right to return to the Eagle Scout Memorial.

Copyright 2005 Dona R. Boley. All rights reserved.