Home HISTORIC REGISTERS Districts

Armour Blvd.Historic District, National Register of Historic Places PDF  | Print |

Armour Boulevard, a major east-west Kansas City thoroughfare, is approximately 1.23 miles in length and extends from Broadway on the west to The Paseo on the east.

The Boulevard began in the 1890´s as Commonwealth Avenue, was renamed 35th Street and was again changed to South Boulevard before finally becoming Armour Boulevard. At present there are 71 properties fronting on the boulevard. The multiple resource area is comprised of single family structures (14 are extant), apartment dwellings, churches and commercial businesses. Armour Boulevard Community Development Corporation prepared a Walking/Driving Tour of the Boulevard. The editor was Mary Agnes Behrn Stackhaus. The architectural and historical information was gathered by Landmarks Commission, Trinity United Methodist Church and Central Presbyterian Church. The Design was by Hickerson Powell & Associates, Inc., who´s office was on Armour and the printing was donated by AMOCO Oil Company (which also had an office on Armour Boulevard at that time).

The buildings between Gillham Road and Troost Avenue that are included in the Armour Boulevard Multiple Property National Register of Historic Places are:

Georgian Court Apartments
400 East Armour Boulevard
This modified "U" plan, Jacobethan style apartment building was built by Harry J. Sophian at a cost of $300,000 in 1917. Mr. Sophian was a real estate developed of major apartment–hotel projects in Kansas City. The Georgian Court Apartments set a stand for other apartment buildings.
Windsor Manor Apartments
409 East Armour Boulevard
The Windsor Manor Apartment building was designed by Nelle E. Peters in 1924.
Sombart Apartments
420 East Armour Boulevard
Built in 1924 for J. Russell Sutherline, the President of Sombart Investment Co., this structure was designed by J.H. Vade. Of tapestry brick design, the Sombart contains sixteen apartments and was the first structure with units of ten rooms or more to be built after World War I.
Henry B. Duke Residence
500 East Armour Boulevard
Henry Duke was the president of the Safety Savings and Loan Association. In 1910 he employed architectural firm of Smith, Rea and Lovitt to design this Georgian style mansion. The residence, featuring cut stone trim and art glass, was built at a cost of $20,000.
Judge Michael Ross Residence
510 East Armour Boulevard
This Georgian Revival home was designed in 1912 by Edgar Madorie for Judge Michael Ross.
Newbern Apartments
525 East Armour Boulevard
One of the Boulevard´s most handsome buildings is the Newbern. It was built in 1921–as the Peacock Hotel. Designed by the prominent Kansas City architectural firm of E.O. Bronstrom and Philip Drotts, the extensive ornamentation on the building originally included a large peacock in polychrome terra cotta located over each entrance. Featuring ornate iron grillwork, terra cotta and a curvilinear design on the northeast corner, the building is one of the few examples of the Sullivanesque style remaining in Kansas City.
Windemere Apartment–Hotel
601–607 East Armour Boulevard
Of Neo-classical elements, these two buildings built in 1922–1923, are similar in design to other apartment buildings on the Boulevard. The building at 601–603 East Armour was originally the Commodore Hotel and the buildings at 605–607 East Armour were the Cherrywood Apartment–Hotel. The building on the southwest corner features the curvilinear entrance similar to the Newbern.
Trinity United Methodist Church
620 East Armour Boulevard
Trinity Church, dedicated and occupied since 1919 is a three story Gothic structure with bell tower, constructed in native stone by the J.R. Van Sant Construction Company. The stately Christian edifice was designed by prominent Kansas City architects Ernest O. Brostrom and George Fuller Green.
George J. Myers Residence
633 East Armour Boulevard
One of the few remaining architect–designed mansions built at the turn of the century is this lavish home built for prominent Kansas Citian George J. Myers. Mr. Myers, an industrialist, organized the Pacific Mutual Telegram Co., which was later absorbed by the Postal Telegraph Co. In 1903, Mr. Myers employed the architectural firm of Shepard and Farrar to design this two and one half story Carthage cut stone home.
Levi McIntire Residence
710 East Armour Boulevard
Built in 1911 for Levi McIntire, a Kansas City real estate developer, this home was designed as a model example of a home built for a "reasonable cost." Constructed of Carthage cut stone and art and crystal glass, the house was built for $12,000. Keene and Simpson, the well known Kansas City architectural firm designed this lavish residence.
William D. Repp Residence
721 East Armour Boulevard
This brick and frame residence was constructed in 1905 for William D. Repp, Secretary and Treasurer of the Duff and Repp Furniture Co. The locally prominent architectural firm of Shepard and Farrar designed this well constructed, elegant home.
Brownhardt Apartments
801 East Armour Boulevard
This ten story brick structure was designed in 1929 by Kansas City architect Alonozo Gentry. It is an early example of the modernistic style of architecture in Kansas City. Terra cotta ornamentation was used above the windows and on the bays between the second, third and fourth floors.
William Huttig Residence
800 East Armour Boulevard
Of two similar residences built by investor Leo N. Leslie on his property at Armour and Charlotte this home still remains. William Huttig, president of the Western Sash and Door Co., purchased the Neo-Classical designed residence in 1904 for $17,500.
Samuel E. Sexton Residence
816 East Armour Boulevard
Constructed of stone and brick in 1905, this residence was built for Samuel E. Sexton, the president of the firm of Hucke and Sexton Contracting and Building Company.
Hotel Ricardo
809–811 East Armour Boulevard
A fine example of tapestry brick architecture, this structure was designed by architect Nelle E. Peters in 1922.
Bainbridge Apartments
900–908 East Armour Boulevard
This Italianate style building features ornate terra cotta ornamentation and brick set in patterns on the facades. It was designed by Phillip T. Drotts in 1925 for C.O. Jones, a real estate promoter who constructed approximately forty large apartment buildings and hotels in Kansas City during his career.
Central Presbyterian Church
901 East Armour Boulevard
The Central Presbyterian Church was founded in 1857. The Classical Revival style structure was designed by the architectural firm of Shepard and Wiser. By 1921 the basement was completed. The congregation worshipped in the basement until 1924. In 1924 the Church auditorium and Sunday School wings were completed.
Bainbridge Apartments
914–918 East Armour Boulevard
Formerly named the Armour Court Apartments, the Bainbridge Apartments are two individual buildings joined by a concrete block addition which links the two units. The buildings were constructed for G.G. McCanles of the McCanles Miller Realty Co. in 1922.



Two contributing apartment buildings, the Wrenmoor and Senate, were demolished around 1990. The Wrenmoor at 919 East Armour Boulevard was an example of the modified Gothic Revival style of architecture. It was originally designed as an apartment–hotel in 1927 by Kansas City architect P.T. Drotts. The Senate at 1011–1015 was built in 1928. The Neo-Classical Revival style structure was originally named the Notre Dame Apartment Hotel. It was one of the first of its period to include stores on its first floor.