Home

Historic Neighbors
Chalfonte (Chicago) Apartments, National Register of Historic Places


The Chalfonte Apartment, 1110-12 E. Armour Boulevard, is a five-story, multi-family residential building that was constructed in 1908-09. The architect for the neo-classical revival building was Matt O’Connell. The ornamented front façade of the building is gray rusticated limestone ashlars, the lower two floors are faced with dressed limestone ashlars, also light gray in color, and buff colored brick veneers the upper stores. There are decorative details of wood, stone, and pressed metal. The side and rear facades consist of red brick, laid in common bond, above a limestone rubble foundation.

Read more...
 
Old Hyde Park Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Old Hyde Park Historic District

PDF Map
The Old Hyde Park Historic District is comprised of two residential areas bounded by Linwood and Armour boulevards, Central Street, Gillham Road, and 39th Street. The district is limited mainly to properties constructed as residences along Central, Baltimore, Wyandotte, Warwick, Walnut and numbered side streets. Properties along Man Street and Broadway are excluded from the district.

Most of the area included in the Old Hyde Park Historic District was platted as portions of the Hyde Park subdivision between 1886 and 1901. Small fragments of the district comprise other plats, such as Hanover Place platted in 1886. These subdivisions were formed from farmland adjacent to the pre-Civil War town of Westport that had been owned by families associated with Westport and the western expansion, such as J.J. Mastin, Seth and Hugh Ward, and John Harris. Hyde Park was annexed by Kansas City in 1897 as part of a large tract of land, extending approximately from 31st Street south to Brush Creek and from the state line east to Prospect.

Read more...
 
Rockhill Neighborhood
Rockhill Homes Historic District

PDF Map
The Rockhill Homes Association boundaries are in general Rockhill Terrace/44th Street on the north, Oak Street on the west, Pierce Street on the south and Troost Avenue on the east.

The Rockhill Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Rockhill was one of the first platted residential developments in the Midwest in which modern land use planning techniques were used such as deed restrictions, streets that follow the contour of the land, extensive landscaping, planned open space, and stone walls giving space margins to all residents. William Rockhill Nelson, promoter of the parks and boulevard system in Kansas City and newspaper editor/owner, developed the neighborhood. Rockhill is the oldest neighborhood in the city that consistently has maintained its original character.

Fifty-three homes designed by William Rockhill Nelson still remain in the district and are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Other significant residences in the district were designed by a representative sampling of leading Kansas City architects, such as Shepard, Farrar, and Wiser; Alice Walton; Edward Delk; Root and Siemens; Smith, Rea and Lovitt; Howe, Hoit and Cutler; John Van Brunt; Adriance Van Brunt; and Courtlandt Van Brunt, only to mention a few. The first phase of construction began in 1904.
 
Southmoreland Neighborhood

 

Southmoreland Historic District

PDF Map
The Historic Southmoreland Neighborhood is located in Midtown Kansas City from Thirty-ninth Street on the northern boundary to Forty-seventh Street on the southern, the west side of Main Street to Gillham/Rockhill Road on the east. The general boundaries of the Southmoreland Historic District are generally the east of Walnut; north of 45th Street; west of Rockhill Road; and south of 43rd Street. The district contains 61 conforming structures and 5 non-conforming structures.

 

Read more...